Tuesday, October 27, 2009

IF

"IF" is a small word, but it can have great impact on our lives. Think of all the times you have used the word 'if'. Perhaps at times you have said, or thought, "If I had stayed at that job, by now I would be ___." Or "If I hadn't done _________ now I would be _________." Sometimes we decide, "If I do _________ now, I won't be able to do _________ later." You may even have thought, "If I retire when I'm _____ years old, my life will be over."

It is probably natural to think in terms of 'ifs', but I encourage you not to let those thoughts rule every decision. Allow yourself to think of the wonderful possibilities that could happen... if. Sometimes it can help to think of the 'ifs', like "If everything goes as planned, I will be able to ___________." Or, "If I change my lifestyle in this way, I can enjoy __________."

So, I encourage you to think of the potential positive aspects of your 'what ifs'. It certainly can be scarry to make a change because of the uncertainty involved. Plan for the likeliest events and you will be more likely to increase your confidence in making the change.


Mary Ann Davis, M.A., is a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the State of Ohio, a Master Career Counselor (MCC) as designated by the National Career Development Association, a Life/Work Counselor, and a Distance Credentialed Counselor. She has over 20 years of experience working with adults in transition. She meets with individuals in person through Yager & Associates' Holistic Counseling Care of Cincinnati and at a distance through Your Career Plan.

Visit her web site at www.YourCareerPlan.com, call Mary Ann at (513) 665-4444 x3, or send an e-mail to YourCareerPlan@cinci.rr.com.

No comments: